Grilled Mediterranean Chicken
You know that feeling when you just don’t know what to make for a dinner party? That’s the feeling that came over me a couple of weeks ago when we had some family over for dinner. It’s spring now, so I was in the mood for something lighter. It also needed to be easy, and something that kids would (mostly) like.
Grilling was a natural choice because of the weather and the warmness in the air got me feeling a bit vacationy (is that a word?), so when I stumbled upon this recipe for Grilled Mediterranean chicken, I knew I had found the winner.
You guys. This dish is so easy to pull together and is perfect for having guests over because much of the work is done ahead of time. Whip up the marinade (an easy blend of spices and ingredients you likely already have on hand) and let your chicken soak up this goodness for at least 2-4 hours in the fridge. Then throw together the greek yogurt dip for the sauce, add some easy sides and you have yourself an effortless, but impressive meal.
I followed this recipe pretty closely and it was delicious, but I did add a few elements at the end that made the presentation of it really pop. I added grilled mushroom skewers, artichoke hearts, olives, and capers, with a healthy sprinkling of parsley and lemon zest atop for color and it looked great. But think outside the box here and use whatever you already have in your pantry/fridge – roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, or even grilled potatoes would all be great additions.
Serve alongside a simple spinach salad and some crusty, garlicky bread for a filling, but light meal, that’s perfect for spring and summer barbecues. This one will be on heavy rotation for us in the coming months as we head into summer!
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken with Dill Yogurt Sauce
Ingredients For The Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients For The Chicken
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground green cardamom
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, dived
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium size red onion, sliced
- Juice of 2 lemons (save the peel for the zest later on)
Optional Plate Toppings:
- 1 jar artichoke hearts
- Lemon zest
- Sun-dried Tomatoes, chopped
- Make the marinade by mixing together the garlic, spices and 3 tbs of olive oil. Rinse your chicken and pat to dry, then rub each piece with the garlic-spice rub.
- Place sliced onions in a large bowl with the lemon juice and remaining olive oil. Set the chicken atop the onions, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight. (See, I told you this was easy!)
- Pull out your food processor or blender to make the yogurt sauce and throw all the ingredients for the sauce in. Blend until smooth and add a little salt if needed. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
- Once the chicken has rested a bit with the marinade, get your grill ready. Grill the chicken on medium/high, covered, for about 5-6 minutes, then flip the thighs over and grill for another 5-6 minutes until done. (This will smell amazing!)
- Arrange the chicken on a serving platter and top with artichoke hearts, capers, olives, lemon zest, parsley, or whatever else your heart desires.
- Serve immediately with simple spinach salad, a nice loaf of crusty bread and roasted garlic.