Mushroom Ragout is the perfect easy weeknight dinner you never knew you needed! Amazing atop pasta or, my favorite, polenta, this rich mushroom sauce is flavored with garlic, tomatoes, and onion making it a great dish for a cold winter evening.
So there are less than 3 weeks until Christmas. Are you in panic mode yet? Not to fear! This mushroom ragout recipe is the perfect addition to your busy weeknight and will leave you plenty of time to surf Amazon for those last-minute Christmas gifts.
Why You'll Love This Mushroom Ragout Recipe
If you're looking for an easy, healthy dish to whip up on a weeknight, this mushroom ragout is it.
- If you’re tired of meat-based sauces, this mushroom ragout is a great vegetarian alternative.
- It's super healthy, loaded with mushrooms which are full of fiber, protein, and antioxidants.
- It's a great substitute when you’re in the mood for something a little different.
- This is a really easy sauce to throw together and can be made in under 30 minutes. It's just what you need for these busy nights leading up to the holidays.
- If you’re feeling really on the ball, you could make this sauce ahead of time and then warm it up just before serving.
- Mushrooms. You can use the same kind of mushrooms, but it’s also nice to use a mix of them to add different flavors and make the texture and look of the dish a bit more interesting.
- Garlic & Onion. Partners in crime to pack this mushroom ragout with flavor.
- Tomatoes. Use a mix of real tomatoes and tomato paste here.
- Red Wine. A mixed red is fine here, although many people prefer to use a marsala wine for mushroom ragout.
- Thyme. To add a bit of earthy, lemony flavor to the ragout.
- Miso paste. This gives the dish even more of a rich umami flavor and is a great compliment to the mushrooms.
How To Make Mushroom Ragout
- To make it, gather 2 ½ pounds of mushrooms, and wipe them well with a paper towl to remove any dirt.
- Sautee the mushrooms in some olive oil over low-medium heat for about 5 minutes. Then, add in your herbs and seasonings, onion, garlic, tomatoes, miso and some good red wine.
- Add in some veggie broth and just a bit of cornstarch and allow it all to simmer until the sauce thickens.
How To Serve It.
There are lots of ways to serve this mushroom ragout. Over pasta is an obvious choice. But, I love it over polenta since the polenta does such a great job of soaking up that rich mushroom flavor. You could also add it to a risotto, or even serve it as a topping for a roast with mashed potatoes as your base.
The best thing about this mushroom ragout dish is that it’s total comfort food at its finest. We love it on a cold winter day with the fire going, a big glass of red wine, and a nice loaf of crusty bread to soak up all that extra delicious sauce.
If you make this Easy Mushroom Ragout Recipe, let me know! Tag me on Instagram or leave a comment below!
Try These Other Easy Weeknight Recipes!
- Sheet Pan Nachos With Chorizo
- Weeknight Tuscan White Bean Pasta
- Easy Vegetable Lasagna With Roasted Eggplant And Zucchini
- Weeknight Rotisserie Chicken Bahn Mi Sandwiches
- Hearty Mushroom Burgers With Beans And Garlicky Mayo
Weeknight Mushroom Ragout Recipe
- 2 ½ lb mushrooms (mixed variety - bella, portabella, shitake all work well)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup red table wine
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cups vegetable stock
- 2 ½ tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- handful of fresh thyme
- Clean and chop all your mushrooms – discard the stems.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms in the oil, stirring often, until browned and the liquid had evaporated.
- Add the chopped onion, salt and pepper to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix in the wine, miso, tomatoes, tomato paste and stock and cook for 4-5 minutes
- Mix in 1 Tablespoon cornstarch to thicken mixture slightly. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes and remove from heat.