This Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning is an easy spice blend to whip up and takes just 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients. The perfect spice mix for your next taco night and the best chicken tacos!
If you know me, you know I like easy meals, and taco night is about as easy as they come. I do sometimes buy store-bought packets of taco seasoning, but making your own homemade chicken taco seasoning is incredibly easy and adds an authentic Mexican flair to your favorite taco recipes.
I love making a big batch of this seasoning to use for multiple meals - then it's ready whenever I need it! Whether you're whipping up ground chicken tacos, turkey tacos, or beef tacos, this taco seasoning blend is your ticket to a delicious taco night!
Why This Recipe Works
There are so many reasons to love this easy chicken taco seasoning.
- Ultimate control. Creating your own taco seasoning at home allows you complete control of the ingredients, ensuring no artificial flavors sneak into your dish.
- Fast and easy. This recipe comes together in 5 minutes. Just grab the spices off your spice cabinet, mix them in a bowl, and viola! You have a delicious blend for amazing chicken tacos!
- Great for batch cooking. I like to make a double batch (or even a triple batch) of this chicken taco seasoning so that I always have some on hand when I need it. It's one of those staple recipes that you can count on to always deliver an easy, delicious meal.
- Delicious! This chicken taco seasoning recipe has the best flavor offering a zesty blend of authentic Mexican seasonings, and providing the perfect balance of smoky flavor, mild heat, and Mexican flavors.
- Versatile. I love this blend on chicken tacos, but It's versatile enough for any taco meat - beef, chicken, or turkey - making it perfect for any taco night.
- Not just for tacos! While this is my standard taco seasoning blend, you can use this for any type of Mexican chicken dish you're cooking - chicken and rice, enchiladas, chicken tamales, or even chicken stuffed peppers, to name just a few.
Just a few simple ingredients and you'll have the best taco seasoning you can find - so much better than what you'll get at the grocery store! Here's what you'll need:
- Chili powder & smoked paprika. These spices are the backbone of the mix, offering a smoky flavor that's quintessential to Mexican cuisine.
- Ground cumin & Mexican oregano. For that earthy, deep flavor profile typical in Mexican dishes.
- Garlic powder & onion powder. Adds a subtle, aromatic base without overpowering the other flavors.
- Cayenne pepper. Brings a touch of heat, which you can adjust to your spice level preference.
- Sea salt & black pepper. Essential for enhancing all the flavors in the mix.
How To Make Chicken Taco Seasoning
You can make this delicious spice blend in just a few easy steps.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoon chili powder, 3 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoon sea salt, 2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Mix to combine. Mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Store. Transfer the blend to an airtight container, like a mason jar, and store in a cool, dark place.
Variations And Substitutions
The best part of making your own seasoning is that you get to adjust it to your preferences to make it exactly how you want it! Here are a few ideas.
- For a milder version. Reduce or omit the cayenne pepper for less heat.
- For extra heat. Add red pepper flakes or increase the amount of cayenne pepper.
- Ground coriander. Adds a lemony, floral note to the mix.
- Regular paprika. Can be used instead of smoked paprika for a less smoky flavor.
How Do I Use This Chicken Taco Seasoning
Use this delicious spice blend in any Mexican chicken recipe!
For easy and quick chicken tacos, add 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning to a pound of chicken. (You can use chicken things, but I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken breast for chicken tacos.) Add the seasoned chicken, plus about 2 tablespoons of water to a large skillet and heat over medium heat, until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the skillet, then shred or dice the chicken, add a squeeze of lime juice, and add the taco meat to flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or taco shells, and serve with your favorite toppings!
What To Serve With Chicken Tacos
This delicious recipe goes with loads of sides. Try chicken tacos with:
- Mexican rice
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Simple green salad
- Corn salsa
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! This versatile seasoning blend works wonderfully with boneless skinless chicken thighs, ground beef, ground turkey, and even fish for taco salads.
As a general rule of thumb, use about 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of chicken or pound of meat. Adjust according to your personal preference.
Definitely! Simply double or triple the ingredients and store your homemade seasonings a larger airtight container. It’s a great spice to have on hand for busy weeknights and is one of my favorite dinner hacks!
Any airtight container will work. The key is to store the seasoning blend in a cool, dark place to preserve its flavors. I've even stored it in a ziplock bag and it keeps just fine.
Stored properly in an airtight container, this chicken taco seasoning mix can last up to 6 months.
This simple spice rub is my favorite way to jazz up Taco Tuesday. If you try this amazing Chicken Taco Seasoning, let me know what you think in the comments below! And don't forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
In The Mood For Mexican? Try These Easy Dishes!
- Carne Asada Vampiro Taco Recipe
- Chorizo Tacos With Avocado Lime Sauce
- Loaded Skillet Steak Fajita Nachos
- Spanish Sliders With Chorizo And Roasted Red Pepper
- Chicken Mole Tacos
The Best Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican Oregano (or regular oregano if you can't find Mexican)
- Combine all spices in a bowl and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight jar or container.
- Store in a cool, dry place, for up to 6 months.
- Store chicken taco seasoning in an air tight container.
- Taco seasoning will stay fresh for up to 6 months when stored in a cool, dry place.