Spaghetti Night just got a flavor-packed upgrade! This Spaghetti Seasoning elevates any sauce by combining the perfect blend of herbs and spices.
As a food blogger, many people think that I'm serving up swoon-worthy meals each and every night. But the truth is, there are many nights when I simply don't have the time or energy to make a from-scratch meal. And I'm totally ok with that. But having a few back-pocket tricks up my sleeve means that I can give even the simplest meals an upgrade.
This easy homemade spaghetti seasoning mix is my go-to secret ingredient for a mouthwatering spaghetti sauce. I use it in my own homemade sauces but also add a dash to store-bought jarred sauce for an extra flavor boost. Add some noodles, ground beef, or frozen meatballs and you have a complete meal in just minutes. Consider this your weeknight shortcut for always having the best spaghetti sauce at the ready - no matter how much time you have.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy recipe. As with most of my recipes on this blog, this spaghetti seasoning recipe is easy to make. Simply combine all the ingredients, and store for up to 6 months.
- Makes the BEST spaghetti seasoning. This delicious Italian seasoning mix makes any sauce better. Whether you're adding it to a jar of pasta sauce from the grocery store or simply adding it to plain tomato sauce for a quick and easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe, this homemade spice blend is the best seasoning to elevate your pasta night.
- Easy to store. I love that you can make a big batch of this spaghetti seasoning, place the spice mix in a glass jar, and use it for up to 6 months. I like making a double batch of it so I always have some on hand for when I need it.
- Versatile. Most of the spices in this homemade blend are standard Italian spices. But don't fret if you don't have all of them on hand. You can easily substitute different spices or just omit ones you might not have. A good base of basil, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder is enough to turn a bland marinara sauce into delicious pasta dinners.
- Great for all sorts of dishes. This pasta seasoning works well with most sauces, including your basic spaghetti meat sauce, sauces with Italian sausage, sauces with ground turkey, or even vegetarian spaghetti sauce. But it's also a great seasoning for spaghetti squash, garlic bread, soups and stews, casserole dishes, or anywhere else you might use an Italian seasoning. (Try it in this easy Dump And Bake Meatball Casserole, Lazy Baked Lasagna With Frozen Cheese Ravioli, or Tuscan Pasta!)
Note: All the spices used here are dried, not fresh.
- Garlic and onion powders. Infuse your sauce with a rich, savory depth.
- Oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage. The quintessential herbs that bring the authentic Italian essence.
- Black pepper. Adds a subtle kick, enhancing the overall flavor.
- Red pepper flakes (optional). For those who crave a hint of heat in their sauce. (I highly encourage this addition! Don't worry - it's not that spicy.)
- Fennel seeds. The secret ingredient that gives this spaghetti seasoning mix a unique, aromatic twist.
How To Make Spaghetti Seasoning
Making this pasta seasoning couldn't be simpler.
- Combine the spaghetti spices. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Stir. Stir well to ensure an even distribution of flavors.
- Store. Store the seasoning in an airtight container to maintain freshness. (I like a sealed glass jar - even a simple small mason jar will do the trick.)
- Shake before use. Shake the jar well before each use to mix the spices thoroughly.
Your homemade spaghetti sauce seasoning will stay fresh for up to 6 months when stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Variations & Substitutions
- Adjust the ratio. Feel free to experiment with different ratios to adjust spice levels according to your taste.
- Add different herbs. Add or omit different herbs based on your preference or what you have on hand. (Just try to keep the flavors in the Italian family.)
- Add it to different dishes. Try adding this seasoning blend to pizza sauce, bolognese sauce, or even as a flavor boost for your favorite pasta dishes. For a thicker sauce, consider mixing it with tomato paste or blending it with olive oil for an extra flavor punch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can! Divide the seasoning into freezer-safe containers for long-term storage.
While you totally could (and it would be delicious!), fresh herbs won't keep like dried herbs do. The beauty of this recipe for me is that I can make it once and use it countless times, making meals easier.
Get creative! Use your favorite herbs or those readily available in your pantry.
Start with 1-2 tablespoons and adjust according to your taste preferences.
As mentioned earlier, there are loads of ways to use these spaghetti spices, but here's a common way that I use it. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the pasta seasoning to a store-bought jar of pasta sauce and heat in a medium-sized pot over the stove. Add in some cooked lean ground beef. Toss with cooked spaghetti noodles, then top with a handful of parmesan cheese and some fresh basil leaves for an easy, delicious healthy recipe.
Homemade pasta seasoning is the perfect way to add a delicious flavor boost to your pasta nights.
If you try this easy Spaghetti Seasoning blend, let me know what you think in the comments below. And remember to tag me with a pic @frontrangefed on Instagram - I'd love to see how you're using it!
Recipes To Use This Spaghetti Seasoning In
- Lazy Baked Lasagna With Frozen Cheese Ravioli
- Instant Pot Chicken And Noodle Soup
- Chickpea Stew With Orzo And Greens
- Tuscan Pasta
- Cheesy Pasta
- Easy Vegetable Lasagna With Roasted Eggplant And Zucchini
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1.5 tablespoon oregano
- 3 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pinch fennel seeds (finely ground)
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices and stir well.
- Store the spaghetti seasoning in an airtight container.
- Spaghetti sauce seasoning will stay fresh for up to 6 months.
- Before using, shake the jar of pasta seasoning well to break up and mix the spices.
- Use in pasta sauces, pizza sauces, garlic bread, or anywhere else you might use Italian seasoning.
- Shake the spaghetti seasoning well before each use to ensure the spices are thoroughly mixed.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.