This Fig Toast With Cream Cheese And Honey is the ultimate in easy-to-make dinners and is a gorgeous way to use up those black mission figs that are in season for a short period right now. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it’s a great option when you don’t have much time, but still want a delicious, satisfying meal.
Sometimes, the easiest recipes turn out to be the most rewarding.
Our oven has been on the fritz for the past two weeks. TWO WEEKS!! We’ve been getting by with pasta dishes, and outdoor grilling, and have even tried our hands at a cast-iron skillet pizza, but one thing we’ve been trying to embrace is the simple meal. The kind that just comes together with whatever you have in the fridge.
It takes a bit of creativity sometimes, but I’m finding that I often already have all the ingredients for a great meal on hand and I don’t even know it. And a key example of this is toast dinners.
I love a good toast dinner (see below) and this one did NOT disappoint. Thick and creamy cream cheese layered thickly onto a nice sturdy piece of sourdough, then piled with a layer of sweet figs and a drizzle of honey. Divine.
Why I Love This Easy Fig Recipe
Toast dinners are seriously awesome. I think we all know the beauty of an avocado toast by now. We’re also long-time fans of eggs and beans on toast, and don’t even get me started with sardines or oysters. What do I love about toast dinners? So many things!
- Easy. One of my favorite things about toast dinners is that they’re super quick to come together - just toast your bread, at your favorite toppings and you're done! Is one of the easiest ways to get a meal on the table FAST!
- Perfect for any meal! You can serve them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This fig toast with cream cheese and honey is PERFECT for breakfast or brunch.
- Versatile. Toast meals are so easy to change up. They can be sweet or savory depending on your toppings, and, speaking of toppings, you’re limited only to your own imagination.
- Great for a crowd! If you've never thought about toasts for feeding a crowd before, this will be an aha moment for you. It's the perfect snack/dinner that feels fancy, but is typically super easy to make. Plus, you can make a big toast (like a flatbread) for a full meal, or smaller bite-sized pieces for a quick and easy appetizer or as part of a cheese board.
- Looks beautiful. I love fig season - There are so many delicious ways to use them and they look so pretty in every recipe. Used here, they make a beautiful toast.
Here's what you'll need for this easy fig toast recipe:
- A nice sturdy bread. I love a rustic sourdough for most toast recipes and it goes great with this juicy fig and cream cheese toast.
- Cream cheese. A plain cream cheese works best here and adds a nice creamy dimension to each bite. (Plus, is there anything better than cream cheese and honey on toast?)
- Figs. Use fresh figs for this recipe. Black mission figs are the most common type of fig and are typically in season from August through October. California figs are also often available in the grocery store and are in season from May through November. The variety doesn't really matter, just use good ripe figs for this recipe.
- Honey. A bit of honey adds a touch of sweetness to this cream cheese toast recipe.
- Olive oil. I love adding just a little drizzle of olive oil here. Extra virgin olive oil adds a slightly bitter, peppery taste that goes great with the sweetness of the figs and honey.
- Sea Salt. A light sprinkling of coarse sea salt helps to bring out all the flavors of this fig toast with cream cheese and honey.
How To Make This Fig, Cream Cheese, and Honey Toast
- Start off by toasting your bread. Since we’re using sourdough, you’ll want to keep the toasting light - sourdough tends to get a bit too crunchy if toasted for too long.
- Spread a thick layer of cream cheese across your toast.
- Top with some beautiful, sliced figs, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and honey and finish with some coarse sea salt.
Variations And Substitutions
Toast dinners are so versatile, there are a million ways you could change this recipe up! Experiment and find your favorite.
- Change the cheese. Fresh goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese or even some creme fraiche could work with this toast.
- Change the bread. A good sourdough bread goes so well here, but the main thing you need to consider is that you need a sturdy, thick slice of bread. So try out whole grain bread, rye, or even a wheat bread for something different.
- Use jam. If it's not fig season, you can always substitute fig jam for the juicy figs in a pinch.
- Make it savory. Make this a savory fig toast by adding some veggies or herbs. Adding some caramelized onions or fresh thyme could take this fig toast to a whole new level.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are best served fresh, as the cream cheese can start to make the toast a bit soggy over time. Try to serve them within an hour of making.
Figs actually have two seasons in the US - the first occurs at the beginning of June and is called the "breba" season. The second season, also called the "new wood" season is from August through October.
Yep! Most grocery stores sell figs but if you can't find them (especially if they're not in season) try visiting somewhere like WholeFoods.
While figs are available all year long, they'll be more abundant (and much sweeter) if you buy them between June and October when they're in season.
Yes! Figs are super healthy and are rich in antioxidants and fiber. They're also known to support everything from digestive, gut health and menstrual health. Plus, they help with weight management and even offer some cancer protection. Delicious and healthy = win!
As I mentioned above, this cream cheese and honey toast with figs recipe is really easy to pull off and would be great to use for any time of day, but I love it as a breakfast toast. Paired with a steaming latte, this easy fig recipe will seriously up your toast game.
If you make this Fig Toast With Cream Cheese And Honey tag me on Instagram! I love to see your creations and hear what you think!
- Cheese, Fruit, And Honey Bruschetta
- Avocado Toast With An Egg
- Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, And Everything Bagel Pizza
Fig Toast With Cream Cheese And Honey
- 1 piece of toast (use the best bread you can find! I used sourdough here.)
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 2-3 black mission figs or california figs, sliced
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small pinch of coarse sea salt, for finishing
- Lightly toast your bread in the toaster.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over the bread, then top with the fig slices.
- Drizzle the honey and olive oil over the toast.
- Finish with a small sprinkling of coarse sea salt.
- Choose a hearty bread as your base. Sourdough is a good option for this toast recipe.
- Use the best quality olive oil and honey you can find. Because these are central ingredients to this toast recipe, you'll want to use a high-quality olive oil and honey.
- Enjoy immediately! Toast recipes are generally best enjoyed right away so that the toast doesn't have time to get soggy.