This quick and easy Homemade French Bread Pizza In The Air Fryer is about to become your new go-to pizza recipe. Gooey mozzarella cheese, zesty pizza sauce, and your favorite toppings, all piled onto a crispy French bread crust. The best part? It's ready in no time (under 15 minutes!), thanks to the magic of the air fryer.
I don't know about you, but in my family, cheesy pizzas are always a good idea. My son has declared it his favorite food, and to be honest, I can't disagree. I love a good crispy pizza crust topped with melted cheese and delicious toppings. (This Spicy Diavola Pizza is one of my favorites!) And, making these french bread pizzas in the air fryer is such a great way to go. This is a great recipe for when you want a crowd pleaser and need it fast!
Why This Recipe Works
There are so many reasons to give this easy recipe a try.
- FAST! Need dinner on the table in a hurry? This simple recipe has your back. From scratch it can be made in under 15 minutes and from frozen, in just 5. The quick cooking time makes it an ideal option for a quick lunch, easy meal, a quick snack, or a fun family pizza night.
- Easy. The ingredients here are super simple and you can even customize them based on what you have on hand or what you like. Add a simple green salad and you're good to go!
- Delicious. The air fryer is a game-changer when it comes to making this French bread pizza. It crisps up the crust to perfection while ensuring the cheese melts into a heavenly consistency.
- Family favorite. My whole family loves this recipe (who doesn't love pizza, right?).
- Great for using up leftover bread! This french bread pizza recipe is the best way to repurpose a leftover loaf of French bread, minimizing food waste.
- Customizable. One of my favorite things about making homemade pizza is that you can customize it however you like. Pick a sauce, choose your favorite pizza toppings and you're good to go.
We're using simple ingredients for this air fryer french bread pizza and sticking with good old fashioned cheese and pepperoni. Here's what you'll need.
- French bread. Choosing a high-quality French bread or baguette is crucial for the success of this recipe. Look for a loaf of bread that's slightly crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, providing the perfect base for your pizza.
- Pizza sauce. The sauce is the heart of any pizza. Opt for your favorite marinara or tomato sauce to bring that classic pizza flavor. For a unique twist, try Alfredo sauce or experiment with homemade pizza sauce for a personalized touch. Or, make your own pizza sauce!
- Mozzarella cheese. The gooey, melted mozzarella cheese is what makes this French bread pizza irresistible. Feel free to mix in other cheeses like parmesan cheese for added depth of flavor.
- Olive oil and Italian seasoning. Combining olive oil with Italian seasoning not only adds a burst of flavor but also helps achieve that golden brown, crispy crust that defines a perfect pizza.
- Toppings. The beauty of homemade pizza is the freedom to choose your favorite toppings. We used a classic pepperoni here, but you can use whatever you'd like. Colorful bell peppers, red onions, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a kick – customize it to suit your taste.
How To Make Homemade French Bread Pizza In The Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. This ensures that the French bread pizza cooks evenly and achieves that coveted crispy crust.
Prepare the French bread. Slice the French bread in half down the middle, then slice each half lengthwise and split open. This creates the perfect base for your toppings.
Toast the bread. Combine olive oil with Italian seasoning and brush it onto the cut sides of the French bread. Place the bread cut side up in the air fryer basket and toast the bread for 3 minutes, then remove it. This step sets the stage for a super crispy crust and will help prevent the pizza from becoming soggy.
(Note - you'll likely only be able to fit one half of the french loaf in your air fryer at a time. Just take this in phases and toast the second half while you're adding your toppings to the first.)
Add the toppings. Spread pizza sauce over the toasted French bread and layer on the mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. Don't forget to sprinkle some additional Italian seasoning for that extra flavor boost.
Air fry the french bread pizza!. Place the loaded French bread into the preheated air fryer and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remember to check it halfway through to prevent overcooking.
Cool and serve. Allow the French bread pizza to cool for a couple of minutes before slicing. This ensures the cheese sets slightly, making it easier to cut into satisfying portions.
Variations and Substitutions
Here are a few ways to mix up your yummy french bread pizza:
- Change up the toppings. Experiment with a variety of toppings. From classic pepperoni to fresh veggies or even a mix of different cheeses herbs like fresh basil, the options are endless and you can totally make this pizza your own.
- Try a different sauce. Swap out the traditional pizza sauce for Alfredo sauce or experiment with a homemade garlic-infused olive oil base for a unique twist.
- Make them individualized! Customize the size of your French bread pizza by cutting the loaf into smaller pieces. This is especially useful if you have a smaller air fryer or if you're preparing a snack. It's also a fun way for each person to "personalize" their own pizzas with toppings of their choice.
- Frozen french bread pizza hack. In a pinch, use the freezer section of the grocery store to your advantage. This makes for a super quick and easy meal. And, you can add your favorite pizza toppings to make your pizza more gourmet if you wish!
- Make garlic toast. This recipe doesn't have to just be about pizza. You can easily make garlic toast using this recipe too. Just follow the steps through step three, and add some garlic powder to the cut loaves before toasting. This is a great side for salads or a lasagna or pasta dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
While French bread works wonderfully, you can experiment with other bread types like Italian bread or even a French baguette for a different texture. You can also use bagels to make air fryer pizza bagels which is a fun variation for a different take on this air fryer pizza
If you happen to have any leftovers (which is rare!), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes to maintain that crispy crust.
Absolutely! Freeze the assembled but uncooked French bread pizza in a single layer. Once frozen, transfer to a zip-top bag. When ready to enjoy, air fry the frozen pizza straight from the freezer. Check it at the 5 minute mark and ad a few extra minutes if needed.
I know - sometimes you just can't muster the energy to make this from scratch. If a Red Baron pizza is calling your name, no problem. Heating frozen french bread pizza in the air fryer is so easy! Just heat the air fryer to 400 degrees F, add the frozen french bread pizza, and cook for 5 minutes. Done!
This air fryer pizza recipe works well with any air fryer model. Adjust the cooking time based on the size and power of your specific air fryer. A 4-5 quart air fryer is recommended for even cooking.
Absolutely. To make french bread pizza in the oven, follow the same steps as listed for the air fryer. Heat the oven to 400 degrees f, place the cut sides up on a baking sheet, toast the bread, add your toppings and then bake for about 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and gooey.
Homemade French Bread Pizza In The Air Fryer is a quick, easy, and delicious way to satisfy your pizza cravings.
If you try this Air Fryer French Bread Pizza, let me know what you think in the comments below! And don't forget to tag me on Instagram @frontrangefed with a pic - I love to see your masterpieces!
More Pizza Recipes
- Spicy Diavola Pizza Recipe With Hot Salami
- Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese And Everything Bagel Pizza
- Cast-Iron Skillet Pizza
- Fall Harvest Pizza
- Healthy Breakfast Flatbread With Eggs
- Easy 20-Minute Yogurt Flatbread Recipe
- Low Sodium, No Cook Pizza Sauce
Homemade French Bread Pizza In The Air Fryer
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning divided
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 4 oz pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the pizza. Slice the french bread in half down the middle, then slice each half lengthwise and split open.
- Combine the olive oil with ¾ teaspoon of the Italian seasoning and brush the mixture over the cut sides of the bread.
- Toast the bread. Place the french bread into the air fryer, cut sides up, and toast it for 3 minutes, then remove from the air fryer.
- Add the pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni to the top of the french bread halves. Sprinkle with more Italian seasoning.
- Air fry the french bread pizza for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. (Check the pizza halfway through to make sure it isn’t cooking too quickly or burning.)
- Remove the pizza from the air fryer and let it cool for a couple of minutes before slicing and serving.