These Moist Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins With Yogurt are the perfect easy bite-sized snack or breakfast for both you and your little one. Homemade, and so much healthier than Little Bites or Hostess brands!
I’m always on the hunt for easy snacks and breakfasts, and, in my opinion, muffins are the way to go. You can make a huge batch of them ahead of time, pop them in the freezer and then take them out when you need them. And they're so easy to customize! Easy Zucchini Muffins (or these little ones with chocolate chips) or these delicious Cranberry Walnut Muffins are both great options.
My new favorite obsessions are these adorable little chocolate chip mini muffins. They're perfect when you want something fast for those busy, hectic mornings. A simple yogurt-based muffin filled with tiny bursts of mini chocolate chips makes this the best chocolate chip mini muffin recipe that your whole family will enjoy. They’re so easy to make and so much better than store-bought versions! Skip the Little Debbie, Little Bites, and Hostess brands and make these delicious homemade mini muffins instead!
Why this recipe works
- Easy. Muffins are super fun and easy to make. This is a great recipe for you to make with your toddler since it has just a few steps.
- Delicious! These mini chocolate chip muffins are the perfect snack to make for school functions or potlucks since they’re such a crowd-pleaser!
- Perfect for little hands. Mini muffins are the perfect snack or breakfast for little ones, and making them homemade gives you peace of mind that you’re feeding your kids a healthy treat.
- Easy to customize. These chocolate chip mini muffins are great as written, but you can easily add in dried fruit, nuts, or fresh fruit for some different flavors.
- Freezer friendly! These muffins freeze beautifully. We love making a big batch, then throwing them in the freezer for a quick and easy snack or breakfast later on.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these mini chocolate chip muffins
- Flour. I used all-purpose flour here.
- Baking powder and baking soda. You’ll need both here since we’re using yogurt, which is slightly acidic, and both ingredients are needed to help lift the volume of the batter.
- Salt and nutmeg. For added spice and flavor.
- Sugar. I used white granulated sugar.
- Yogurt. I like using a plain, full-fat yogurt for this mini chocolate chip muffin recipe, since I think it does a great job of making the muffins super moist.
- Butter. You’ll want to use unsalted butter here.
- Vanilla. Try to use pure vanilla extract here (not imitation vanilla) if you can for better flavor.
Variations & Substitutions
- Vary the type of yogurt. I used plain full-fat yogurt for this mini muffin recipe, but you could easily use Greek yogurt, or even a non-fat version if that’s what you have on hand, or prefer.
- Substitute the sugar. Use brown sugar instead of white, or substitute maple sugar or honey.
- Mix in other ingredients. Want to add another flavor to these delicious mini muffins? Lots of things would work well. Bananas, strawberries, blueberries, dried fruits, or even nuts would all be great additions.
- Make them double chocolate chip muffins! Want to make these extra chocolatey? Add in a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder to make them chocolate chocolate chip muffins!
How to make chocolate chip mini muffins with yogurt
These little muffins are so simple to make, you’ll want them on repeat every week! Here’s how to do it:
- Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the yogurt, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla, and stir well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Add the chocolate chips. Carefully fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Fill the mini muffin cups. Add the batter to a well-greased mini muffin tin and bake at 380 for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Cool and serve. Allow the chocolate chip mini muffins to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan, then remove them from the pan and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Don’t use muffin liners. While paper liners look super cute, they tend to stick to these muffins because they are so moist. The best method is to grease your pan well with cooking spray or butter before adding the chocolate chip muffin batter. They should pop out easily once they are fully baked.
- Allow to cool completely before storing. Placing your muffins into a container when they’re still warm will turn them soggy quickly. Allow them to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.
- Use paper towels when storing! A common problem when storing muffins or quick bread is that they can become a bit soggy when stored. This is because the moisture that rises to the surface naturally as they age has nowhere to go when stored in an airtight container. To avoid this, place a paper towel at the bottom of your container, then layer the muffins on top, and place a second paper towel over the muffins before sealing the container shut. The paper towels help to absorb the moisture, preventing your baked goods from becoming soggy.
Frequently asked questions
Store the muffins in an air-tight container with a paper towel lining both the bottom and top of the container. This will help prevent the muffins from becoming soggy over time. These chocolate chip mini muffins may be stored for up to 4 days.
Yes! Mini muffins are a great freezer item because they’re easy to pull out when you need them and tend to thaw fairly quickly. To freeze, place them in a resealable freezer bag, in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, take them from the freezer and allow them to thaw completely.
You should be able to get about 30 mini muffins, or 12 regular-sized muffins from this recipe, depending on how full you fill your muffin cups.
That’s easy to do! To make these full-sized, heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for the same amount of time, about 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe, but use whatever you have on hand or enjoy. White or dark chocolate chips would be delicious for these little muffin bites too.
If you make these delicious moist, Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins With Yogurt, let me know what you think in the comments below! And don't forget to tag me @frontrangefed on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
More easy muffins and quick breads
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Apple Cranberry And Walnut Quick Bread
- Easy Moist Pumpkin Bread With Chocolate Chips
- Easy Zucchini Muffins
- Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe
Moist Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins With Yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoon warm melted unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix the eggs, yogurt, sugar, melted butter, and vanilla in another large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined (don’t over mix - the batter should be a bit lumpy - not smooth)
- Carefully fold the chocolate chips into the muffin batter.
- Grease a mini muffin tray (or add muffin liners to the muffin tray). Divide the batter between the muffin cups and bake for 12-15 minutes at 380, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing them from the pan. Place the muffins on a wire rack and allow them to cool for an additional 10 minutes.
- Store the muffins in a covered container for 5-7 days.
- If making full-sized chocolate chip muffins, increase the temperature to 400 and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow chocolate chip mini muffins to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To keep the muffins fresh, and prevent them from becoming soggy, add a paper towel to the storage container.
- To freeze these muffins, place them in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow to thaw to room temperature, then enjoy!