Delicious (and, dare I say, healthy-ish?) Homemade Tortilla Chips can be yours in a snap with just a few ingredients. Corn tortillas, oil, salt, and your desired spices are all it takes to make these delicious chips right at home. Add a side of salsa and you have the perfect appetizer!
If you’ve never tried making homemade tortilla chips, you’re in for a treat.
Why I Love These Homemade Tortilla Chips
- These chips taste way better than store-bought chips and are much cheaper.
- They're baked, not fried, which makes them healthier than store-bought or even a make-at-home fried version.
- They're a quick and easy snack to whip up, taking less than 20 minutes to make.
- They're amazing with homemade guacamole!
- Best of all, you can customize them in so many ways!
What Types Of Tortialls Should I Use?
I always use corn tortillas to make chips, but there are tons of varieties to choose from that allow you to vary the flavor of your chips.
How To Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
So, how do you make chips out of a tortilla? It's super simple.
- Just slice up your tortilla into your desired shape (I typically slice a small tortilla into 4ths or 6ths using a pizza cutter).
- Drizzle the tortilla chips with a neutral oil, then season them as you like! You can get super creative with spices here - stick with light veggie oil and salt for a classic chip flavor, or spice it up with chili powder and cumin, as I did in this recipe. Use your imagination and experiment to find your perfect chip flavor!
- Bake them in the oven for about 7 minutes, then rotate and bake for an additional 7 minutes. Watch them carefully - depending on your oven you may need to take them out sooner than 7 minutes to avoid over-baking them. Your tortilla chips should be a nice light golden color once they're fully baked - not brown!
How To Store Them
These tortillas are best - in both crispiness and taste, the same day you make them. Storing them is possible for up to a day or two in a sealed ziplock bag.
Give these Homemade Tortilla Chips a try, and if you do, tag @frontrangefed on IG with your creation! I’d love to see how these turn out for you!
More Easy Snack Recipes
- Sheet Pan Nachos With Chorizo
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Maple Spiced Roasted Walnuts
- Apple Chips With Maple Tahini Dip
- Chunky Guacamole Recipe
- Spicy Caramel Popcorn
- Popcorn For Dinner - 4 Ways
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 1 package 12 small corn tortillas
- 1-2 tablespoon neurtral cooking oil, such as vegetable oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp flaky salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each of your tortillas into 6 wedges.
- Arrange as many wedges as you can onto a large baking sheet (you will probably need to cook these in a few batches.)
- Using a small pastry or basting brush, dab a small amount of oil onto each chip.
- Combine the cumin, chili powder, and flaky salt in a small bowl. (If you’re going for more of a traditional chip flavor, just use salt.)
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the chips.
- Bake chips for 7 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for an additional 7 minutes, or until chips are firm.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.