Tajin on Watermelon is a delicious summer treat that’s refreshing, zesty, and incredibly easy to make. Elevate your basic watermelon with a sprinkling of this classic Mexican seasoning. It’s the perfect appetizer or summer side dish for any meal!
Watermelon with Tajin is one of those surprising snacks that you never knew you needed. Adding the slightly spicy Mexican seasoning blend to sweet, juicy watermelon cubes is the perfect way to spice up your watermelon side. Adding a squeeze of lime and a sprinkling of fresh mint makes this a gorgeous appetizer that will go great at any party, and works perfectly alongside almost any meal.
Why This Spicy Watermelon Recipe Works
Sometimes it’s the simplest recipes that make a huge impact and Tajin watermelon is a great example of that. Here’s why I love this simple summer appetizer.
- Easy. With less than five ingredients in this watermelon recipe, its incredibly easy to pull together.
- Fast. This Tajin watermelon app takes almost no time to make. Perfect when you need a quick appetizer or side dish.
- Delicious. Putting tajin on watermelon gives the fruit that perfect sweet and spicy combination that is absolutely irresistible.
- Goes with everything. Seriously, this is one of those sides that pairs perfectly with a grilled steak, tacos, veggies, or all on its own on an app board.
There are only 4 simple ingredients in this recipe:
- Watermelon. The hardest part of this recipe is cutting the watermelon. I cut it into cubes and then put it on skewers for serving, but you could also cut it into triangles, sticks, or even watermelon balls (using a melon baller). Do whatever works best for you.
- Tajin. Such a delicious Mexican spice and it should be fairly easy to find. But if you’re looking for a substitute, you can use a blend of cayenne pepper, chile powder, salt, and lime zest.
- Fresh lime juice. Just a squeeze of lime on top of the watermelon gives this easy appetizer an extra citrusy zip.
- Mint. This is an optional add, but the addition of freshly chopped mint gives a cooling essence and makes this appetizer an elevated dish for any party. I love the combination with the Tajin watermelon.
How To Make Tajin Watermelon
Here’s how to make this delicious sweet and spicy watermelon with Tajin recipe. It only takes about 5 minutes (or less!).
- Cut the watermelon. Cutting the pieces into cubes is easy to do, but you could also make triangles, sticks or even watermelon balls. Add to skewers, if using.
- Sprinkle the Tajin. Sprinkle the Tajin seasoning evenly over the watermelon pieces.
- Add the lime juice. Squeeze fresh lime over the entire dish.
- Finish with fresh mint. Sprinkle chopped fresh mint over the skewers.
Variations & Substitutions
Tajin and watermelon is a super simple and delicious combo, but here are a few ways you can mix it up if you wish:
- Cut your watermelon differently. Use cubes, triangles, sticks, or watermelon balls.
- Change out the mint. The mint really compliments the tajin and watermelon, but you could also try something like cilantro or basil for something a little different.
- Add some cheese. Sprinkle some cotija over the spiced watermelon for an extra element of flavor and texture.
- Add chamoy. Chamoy is a sweet and spicy Mexican condiment that would taste great drizzled over this Tajin watermelon.
How To Serve
Tajin watermelon goes with almost everything! Serve it with burgers, tacos, enchiladas, chicken sandwiches, or salads. This easy summer treat also works great as an easy appetizer, or served as a refreshing snack poolside.
If you’re not familiar with Tajin (pronounced Tah-heen), it’s a classic Mexican seasoning blend that contains dried chili peppers, dehydrated lime, and sea salt. It gets is red color from a combination of chiles de arbol, guajillo and pasilla.
Tajin has a slightly salty/spicy/sour flavor that’s sweetened a bit by the lime juice.
Contrary to what you might think, Tajin seasoning is not that spicy. It has a slight warmth from the chili powder, but also a citrusy/salty flavor from the lime and sea salt.
Tajin can be found in most grocery stores in the international aisle, and is generally placed close to other Mexican products. It also may be located in the spices and seasoning section of the grocery store.
Tajin is also available for purchase online from places like Amazon
I love this watermelon Tajin combo so much, I’m already dreaming up other ways I can use the delicious Mexican spice. Of course, there’s lots of Tajin on fruit recipes I plan to try. Here are a few that I plan to try:
Protein (like chicken, pork or fish)
Corn on the cob
If you make this delicious Tajin Watermelon, let me know what you think in the comments. And don’t forget to tag me @frontrangefed on Instagram so I can see your masterpiece!
More Easy Appetizers
- 7 Layer Greek Dip
- Crispy Cheddar Cheese Straws
- Sheet Pan Nachos With Chorizo
- Cherry Salsa Recipe
- 5-Minute Pineapple Salsa
- Chipotle Corn Salsa With Roasted Chili
- Homemade Yukon Gold Potato Chips
5 Minute Tajin Watermelon Skewers - Easy Summer Appetizer
- 4-6 cups cubed watermelon (about ½ small watermelon)
- 1 teaspoon Tajin seasoning
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- Chop watermelon into cubes, triangles, sticks, or watermelon balls. Add to skewers if using.
- Sprinkle Tajin seasoning over the top of the watermelon.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze fresh lime juice over the watermelon.
- Sprinkle the chopped mint over the top of the Tajin watermelon.
- Use seedless watermelon for easier snacking.